Monday, September 17, 2007

still here...

and God willing, maybe I'll still be here tomorrow. Or maybe not. It's been a long and painful 9 months since I last posted. Hopefully I'll be keeping my blog up 2 date from now on.
I've just finished the Eastern Orthodox Theological Seminar in Tulcea, so it seems i'll be home more often.
This is a good moment to explain the Romanian schooling system. First of all we have 12 grades.
The primary cycle, grades 1 to 4. The gymnasial cycle, grades 5 to 8. After the 8th grade there used to be an exam (Romanian Language and Literature, maths, Romanian History or Geography-you got to choose), which I took. Now they've replaced it with somethin'... then there is the 'liceu' from the latin lyceum or from the greek Lykeion, from neuter of lykeios, with grades 9 to 12 (or 13 in my case. In my time the seminary had 5 years. Now it has 4 like the others). Then there's the national exam commonly known as 'bacalaureat'. Which I also took, with a grade of 9.63 (10 being the highest). :P Then there's the university, which consists of several institutions called 'facultate' (singular form mentioned here, plural form actually used). Usually written in english as 'faculty' althoug I'm not 100% sure it's the correct translation.
The Ovidius University from Constanta, Romania, has several faculties, (Law, Medicin, Theology, Economy -A.S.E for short- a Conservatory, and others). Sure, it's not the best in the country, but it's home. :D
Right know I chose Theology (Eastern Orthodox) and Letters (the english for Litere) which has several branches of study. I chose languages and literatures, more precisely Romanian and Russian, or German, as my second option. If there aren't enough candidates at romanian-russian then there will be no such class and I'll end up studying german. I could have picked english or italian or something else. But I thought: I know english, and if I want to study its' literature, i just have to read it. And I don't need italian. Yet i love russian choral music, and i liked some russian literature translated into romanian, so why not russian? And if it can't be russian (because russians are still regarded as the enemy which i think is stupid, so not many people want to study the language) then german might be useful.
Yet two faculties studied simultaneously can be difficult. So I might give up on one, if i can't handle it.
This wasn't intended to be a long post. But since it's been so long since i last wrote here, it's ok.
I hope that "i'll be back" ;)
have a blessed and nice day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home